Thursday, May 8, 2014

Crimes against the French language by Elle (possibly the first post in a series)

At the modern coffee bar Kate found near our apartment in the Marais, I produced one of my most clumsy and awkward French sentences to date.  I can’t repeat it here (for shame, but also because I can’t recall it in all its inglorious detail ... possibly because of the shame), but essentially I was asking, in a very mangled way, if a particular coffee listed on the board was the same as the café crème with which I was more familiar.


The hip young barista patiently listed to my mangled question, which seemed to me to take several minutes, and then she answered, in English: “Pretty much”.

6 comments:

  1. Hilarious! Yes PLEASE make this the first post in a series. And if you could maybe record all your conversations in French so you can recall the inglorious detail, that would be good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, she clearly understood the question so maybe it wasn't as mangled as you thought. She was very sweet, and the coffee was good, so I think that makes it all worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly Gervy, there are too many crazy French conversations to record... I will try to recall a few more to add at least one more to the series!

    It was good coffee wasnt it Katie? Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you use a genuine service, you will be able to provide instructions, share materials and choose the formatting style. navelina.blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post. AR 15 Parts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Budapest Airport is relatively well accessible also by Public Transportation Means. Passengers are taken by a direct bus service from Terminals 1 and 2, called the Bus 200 to Köbánya-Kispest metro terminal. The new service from BKV adjusts much better to the passenger traffic at the airport: it is larger so bigger luggage can be transported; budapest rental

    ReplyDelete